Gymnastics New Zealand is forming a dedicated Working Group that will guide the development of new training guidelines for our gymnasts in Aotearoa. This move is a part of our commitment to improving participant wellbeing and following best practice long-term athlete development. The need for this initiative has been reinforced through the valuable insights from AUT research and feedback from our community.
Working Group Composition
The Working Group will include representation from our vibrant gymnastics community. It will feature a diverse mix of athletes, coaches, parents, administrators, judges, committee members, survivor advocates, and sport science experts.
The Working Group’s key objectives are to
- Review the research findings on training limits from the AUT report.
- Agree upon suitable training guidelines for young gymnasts in New Zealand.
- Identify what support clubs and coaches need for adopting the guidelines
- Develop a draft of the new training guidelines for review by GNZ.
- Applications open – Friday 18 August 2023
- Applications close – Friday 8 September 2023
- Training Guidelines Working Group announced – Friday 15 September 2023
- Training Guidelines Working Group meetings – Between 18 September-30 October 2023
- Draft Training Guidelines presented at the Gymnastics NZ Club Forum – Sunday 5 November
We anticipate three to five virtual meetings for the Working Group. Our goal is to present a draft of the Training Guidelines at the Club Forum on 5 November.
If you’re passionate about the future of gymnastics in New Zealand and believe you can contribute to this work, we’d love to have your application.
- See the online application form.
- Read the full Training Guidelines Working Group Terms of Reference.
Stay tuned for updates and together, let’s shape a brighter, safer, and more effective training landscape for our gymnasts in Aotearoa.