Updates will be made below as information is received.
In light of the recent earthquakes, please find following an update of known affected member clubs. Some buildings have sustained minor damage, with the majority having been cleared for continued use. We wish all those in affected areas the best in safety and recovery.
It has come to our attention that one of the fatalities of the earthquake is immediately related to a long-time coach. GymSports NZ offer our heartfelt condolences to the family during this challenging time.
Gymnastics Nelson has had their building assessed and are open for classes.
An initial inspection of the premises at Blenheim Gymnastics has not revealed any significant damage and classes are still running – please refer to their Facebook page for updates.
The majority of Wellington clubs are open but faced the added challenge yesterday of heavy rain causing flooding.
- Harbour City GymSports – following a positive inspection, the club is now open and back to normal classes.
- Capital GymSports are back to normal classes (16 November).
- Waikanae Gymnastics Club is open and operating as normal (16 November).
- Rimutaka GymSports have resumed classes today (16 November). They are posting updates on their website and Facebook page.
- Porirua GymSports are back to normal classes (16 November).
- Hutt Valley GymSports opened after the building was cleared and have not been affected by the flooding. If you can make it safely to and from the gym they are still running classes.
- Kapiti GymSports are back to normal classes (16 November).
- BigAir GymSports (both locations) have been open and will be contacting their members by email in regards to class changes. Updates are also available on their Facebook page.
We would also like to pass on well wishes sent by FIG President elect Morinari Watanabe as he wishes “all gymnastics friends in New Zealand health and safety.”