We are pleased to announce that the following athletes have been selected into the 2020 MAG National Squad:
- Misha Koudinov (Tri Star Gymnastics)
- Ethan Dick (Tri Star Gymnastics)
- Sam Dick (Tri Star Gymnastics)
- William Fu Allen (Tri Star Gymnastics)
- Devy Dyson (Phoenix Vancouver/Tri Star Gymnastics)
- Harvey Humber (Counties Manukau Gymnastics)
- Jorden O’Connell-Inns (Christchurch School of Gymnastics)
- Brody Hall (Olympia Gymnastic Sports)
The Squad term for the 2020 MAG National Squad is 1 November 2019 until 31 March 2021. Athletes can be added or removed during this term according to international results.
How is the squad put together?
The Men’s Artistic Gymnastics (MAG) National Squad is for athletes competing senior international. Athletes will be selected into the 2020 Squad using performance criteria achieved at key events. The 2020 Squad will be named in November 2019 using 2019 events. Athletes can also be selected into the Squad during 2020 if they achieve the performance criteria at 2020 key events. These key events are as follows:
NZ Qualifying Events
- Marlborough Championships – June 2019
- Mason Gillespie – July 2019
- Auckland Manukau Championships – July 2019
- 2018 NZ Gymnastics Championships – October 2019
- Any FIG World Challenge/Cup event from 1 November 2018 until 31 October 2019
- 2019 Australian Gymnastics Championships – May 2019
- 2019 Oceania Championships – May 2019
- 2019 Universiade – July 2019
- 2019 World Championships – October 2019
To be selected, athletes should meet one of the following:
- Meet three or more start values and corresponding scores in table 1; or
- Meet one of the apparatus scores in table 2; or
- Meet two of the apparatus scores in table 3; or
- Squad 360 athletes competing Under 18 in 2018 can gain automatic qualification.
Does this mean athletes automatically make the team?
No. Being part of the squad means you are a targeted athlete, but depending on the competition, there may be other criteria to be met before a team is announced.
So what does part of the Squad mean?
As part of the National Squad, you will be invited to attend training sessions/camps with other squad athletes and coaches, as well as lectures and other learning opportunities for both athletes and their coaches.
See the full 2020 National Squad Selection Policy.